Saturday, February 11, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday Week 49 - a shady demand

From Large Target, Jo Fuller and the missing admiral’s daughter, Amy, find a murder victim at the admiral's cottage. the local police arrive at the cottage and Amy’s husband soon shows up with their daughter. He looks dazed and holds a folded-up cardboard windshield screen of the kind that people put on the dashboard to keep their car seats from heating up in direct sun. Jo says hello:

“This was on the outside of the windshield, under the wipers,” he said. “I folded it up to keep the kid from seeing it but I guess I should give it to the police, what do you think?"

I looked and did a double take, staring at the spray-painted, stenciled letters on the accordion-folded cardboard over the printed cartoon sun:

$1 MILL FOR ADMIRAL 7 FILES & TAPE / DO NOT CALL POLICE / RAISE $ WAIT

A policeman reading over my shoulder whistled in amazement, "Hey, Gordy, lookit this." Too late not to tell the police.

For the full buffet of six-sentence samples, check out the dozens of writers at Six Sunday.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, too late on both accounts. Great six! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great six. makes me want more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to use the windshield shade for the hostage demands! Loved the understated humor in this too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing curioius to see where it goes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great six, Lynne. Oops about the cops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The plot thickens (so to speak!). Fab snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for stopping by and commenting, I've been working all day but now I'm going to go and treat myself to reading your snippets!

    ReplyDelete